Kratom is derived from the Mitragyna speciosa korth tree. It is a tropical tree found in South East Asia. Its leaves have been used over the years mainly due to their medicinal properties. It has effects just like those of opium and can be as addictive as khat and caffeine.
History of Kratom
It grew wildly in Indonesia and Thailand. In the ancient times, workers consumed it to be more productive during labor hours. Natives of Indonesia and Thailand used it to make medicine. In times of war, injured soldiers were given kratom to offer relief from pain and to treat wounds. In some cultures, couples that were unable to bear children were given kratom to boost libido and increase fertility.
How Kratom is Taken
Kratom can be found in the form of capsules, tea leaves, cigar or powder. How one chooses to consume it is entirely out of their taste. Some people find it extremely nasty and prefer to mix it with sweet drinks like juice, yogurt, and honey. The middle-aged take it mostly in the form of capsules as it is more convenient for them. Dried leaves of kratom are also made into tea. Other kratom users prefer to smoke as the effects are strongest when kratom is inhaled.
How it feels when you take kratom
Most people feel happier and more relaxed. Others feel sleepy and confused, the effects of kratom use will differ per person.
Benefits of using Kratom
• Kratom raises the body energy levels. It works by increasing the rate of metabolic activities in the body. People that do hard labor take it so as to remain energetic.
• It boosts the immunity. Health experts advise people to use kratom as an immunity booster. This is because it contains compounds that fight against disease causing agents.
• Kratom offers relief from pain. It contains alkaloids that increase serotonin levels in the body. Serotonin eliminates pain from the muscles and the whole body in general.
• It acts as a libido booster in both males and females.
• Kratom is a great anti-depressant. It eliminates mood swings, depression, and anxiety disorders.
• Kratom prevents diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels.
Tips to using kratom
1. Ensure you stay hydrated while using kratom
2. Kratom should always be taken on an empty stomach. Early morning hours are best. If you had already eaten something, wait for at least two hours before you take it.
3. Ensure that you take small amounts of kratom. Five grams a day is just enough for the body.
4. Be careful about the type of strain you take. The red strain should be taken in extremely small doses while the green and yellow strains could be taken in higher doses.
Side effects of kratom
• Constipation due to dehydration
• Highly addictive and has terrible withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, nausea and vomiting.
• Decrease in appetite
• Increase in urine
In conclusion, kratom has unmatched herbal properties and should only be taken in moderation.